If you have been wondering where to stay in Helen for Oktoberfest or even just for a much-needed vacation stay then we have great options in store for you. Going abroad is a fun and exciting time, but if you don’t stay in the right location then you may miss out on the fun and festivities that could add so much value to your trip. And once you have your area decided on, consider your budget, and choose a perfect place to set your luggage down while on holiday.
Too often we jump in with both feet thinking we will work it out on the way, and sometimes this method may work, but a well-planned out trip will make the memories so much better and you and the family will thank you for it.
There is nothing more magical than going abroad and immersing yourself in the culture and traditions of the locals while experiencing the rich history that made the community what it is today. Trying the homemade local cuisines and beverages, and coming up close and personal with the landscape makes excursions and day trips all the more worthwhile.
Places to Stay in Helen Ga
Helen, in Northeast Georgia, is one of those quaint towns with areas that make being away from home a pleasure, you feel welcomed with a friendly community atmosphere everywhere you go, and these German-inspired village and surroundings is a must-stop destination when traveling.
There are endless outdoor activities to get involved in, hikes and walks to explore while trailing the mountainside, and festivities and celebrations to be a part of during seasonal months throughout the year.
This is an alpine village set in White County and home to the famous Oktoberfest during the months of September and October and is a unique event you won’t want to miss if you are out there at that time.
When visiting Helen you can enjoy the scenic waterfalls and hikes which range from experienced hikers and walkers, to flat family-friendly walks the family can enjoy together. Other than the ever-flowing falls, you can also enjoy the calmer, close-to-nature Rivers, with the exciting outdoor adventure of tubing. Bob along the water’s edge on an inflatable tubed ring and take picturesque photos that you can only achieve when up close and personal to Mother Nature’s beautiful creations.
Best Neighborhoods to Stay in Helen, Georgia
Let’s take a look at some of the best places to stay in Helen from budget-friendly to full-star ratings and everything in between. The top areas to live in Helen and the surrounding areas have been narrowed down to the following top areas:
- Sautee Nacoochee – The Sautee Nacoochee Center deserves a notable mention and housed in a restored schoolhouse, is now the community and cultural epicenter for the area.
- Helen Central – Downtown for a vibe and adventurous atmosphere, the city of Helen is a must-stop destination during your trip
- Dahlonega – A short 40-minute drive to this picturesque town from Helen Center to experience a different side of this part of the world, and isn’t that the epitome of exploring new areas and countries
There is something to appeal to everyone’s tastes and likings, and discovering which suits you best is part of the package, it’s a great adventure to embark on, make great memories of, and fully immerse yourself and your traveling into all there is to know about Helen.
Visiting this history-filled mountainscape will broaden your horizons, built by the American Indians the Sautee Nacoochee Indian Mound which still stands strong to this day, are testament to their imprint on the land and their lasting footprint in history.
This is an area filled with a deep-rooted and meaningful history, landmarks and excursions allow us a glance into the world of the past through tours, museums, and activities, and is a perfect way to get immersed into the cultures of the locals and community.
Albeit a touch off the beaten track compared to the big names of the cities and towns, this hidden gem of a location will make you fall in love with Helen, Georgia, and all that comes with it.
Top Activities: Rated by hands-on adventures and experiences by travelers
- Chattahoochee Stables – If being outdoors is your cup of tea then this outdoor horse riding trail excursion is the one for you. Trot through the wilderness and nature at its finest, through the running rivers and waterways that create a gorgeous tranquil ambiance, and it is a great family-friendly trip for the whole gang to participate in.
- Folk Pottery Museum of NE Georgia – An informative stop to learn all about the famous clay and pottery making of yesteryear, see a short video on the history and methods, see antique sculptures, and relax outdoors while listening to the guide explain and show how it’s all done. Finish off your visit with a browse in the gift shop for handmade trinkets and jewelry accessories to take home with you to remember the trip by and even to purchase for a loved one as a gift.
Top Sightseeing: Rated traveler’s favorites
- Hardman Farm – This historic site is a TripAdvisor 2022 award winner and allows you to delve into centuries of culture while exploring and being guided by the onsite tour operators on this exquisitely preserved land. A perfect way to enjoy the great weather and keep busy for 3 hours during the day and even older folk who may struggle to walk for longer periods have the option of using a golf cart to travel with the party.
- The Gourd Place – A site you will surely not find or experience anywhere else, there are gourds for all personalities and the sculptures and creations are bespoke and unique and not to be missed. Learn about how they are grown, see the process, and take home a unique keepsake to tell your family about back home.
Top Accommodation: Rated by highest star rating
- Sylvan Valley Lodge and Cellars (5 stars, fabulous 8.6 ratings, 9.3 for location) – If you are looking for a location that is close to town so you can enjoy the city scene but far away enough to spend some quality time with your loved one then this mountain scape location tucked away in nature, is just the place for you. Live music on the weekend, quaintly decorated, and all the amenities and service you need to make your stay comfortable.
- Alpine Escape (4 stars, 9.4 superb ratings, 9.0 for location) – Quirky elements of décor make this rental property a must for uniqueness, with wood finishes and fully fitted kitchens, your home away from home is right here. There is an onsite bar and pool table to have a few drinks and relax and play a few rounds to finish the evening.
- Attitude Adjustment (4 stars, 9.5 exceptional ratings, 9.4 for location) – Surrounded by nature, waking up to the sounds of the wildlife is pure tranquility. There is a children’s play area on-site to entertain the kids while you enjoy your morning coffee in the living area with floor to ceilings windows to get you up close and personal with Mother Nature. There is also a hot tub to unwind and rejuvenate.
The bespoke and uniquely colored architecture of the buildings makes this Bavarian village a must-see while traveling to or through the Northeastern Georgia region. The smell of the German-inspired delicacies of pastries and baked goods waft through the streets drawing you closer to the cobblestoned village where you can browse and peruse through over 200 bespoke shops.
Here you can see the old aged craft of candle making to the antique cuckoo clocks we grew up with as children, and once your tummies are full and you have bought every trinket under the sun, take a leisurely tube ride on the river as you bob past the locals and natures edge.
Top Activities: Rated by all things to enjoy outdoors
- Yonah Mountain Hiking Trail – Stone staircases and tree arched walkways, this is nature in all its beauty. Make a day of it and take the family for a gorgeous mountain walk, reasonable fitness would be advantageous, and enjoying the picturesque views from the top makes it all worthwhile. Beautiful photo opportunities, and a great way to get some fresh air.
- Unicoi Zip Line And Ariel Adventures – If you have ever been zip lining then you will know all about how exhilarating the feeling of flying is, and this is a safe way to get the whole family to try it. Fly over water and through trees and forget all your troubles for those precious moments when you are on top of the world. The kids will love it and is an experience they will never forget.
Top sightseeing: Rated by immersive experiences
- Helen and Back Food Tours – The ultimate way to enjoy the local cuisines and drinks from the top restaurants Helen has to offer, and what better way than with a professional and knowledgeable guide to make the trip that much more fun. Meet new people, share stories, and become one of the locals as you settle in, a great day out.
- Cool River Tubing – The famous tubing on the river day trip will have the kids and adults screaming with joy. As water splashes and gentle rapids make this thrilling adventure an unforgettable moment, you can end the day with well-deserved ice cream on site. The tubes are kid-friendly, and the water is slow so first-time tubers have nothing to worry about.
Top Accommodation: Rated by top picks and budget-friendly options
- Black Forest Bed and Breakfast (2 stars, 8.8 fabulous ratings, 9.5 for location) – If you were simply passing through and looking for places to stay in Helen GA for one night then this home away from home ticks all the boxes. After a long drive takes a soak in the heart-shaped hot tub in the room, get a good night’s rest, and wake up to a full breakfast served daily to fuel you for the day’s adventures.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Helen (3 stars, 9.0 superb ratings, 9.3 for location) – Finding cheap hotels in Helen doesn’t come much better than this. Breakfast includes both hot and cold buffet choices, a fitness center to get your morning workout in, and only 300m from the river, you could take a fresh morning walk along the river’s edge to start the day as nature wakes up. Neat modern rooms, and plenty of parking on site.
- River bend Motel and Cabins (2 stars, 8.4 very good ratings, 9.6 for location) – Situated right on the river allows guests the advantage of taking part in multiple water and outdoor activities, attractions are within walking distance from the property, and continental breakfast is served daily. Eat indoors or outside dining is available in the BBQ and picnic areas.
If you have been wanting to experience and enjoy the heart of the Georgia wine country then Dahlonega is the place you want to mark on your travel list. Just an hour north of Atlanta, this mountain getaway offers authentic and original architecture and is home to hundreds of events and celebrations year-round for you to book and be part of.
Live music and theatres are just some of the sightseeing attractions available, and once you have done those, be sure to head to the local shops to see handmade souvenirs and products to take home with you.
Top Activities: Rated by historical and informative excursions
- Consolidated Gold Mine – Winner of a Trip advisor traveler’s 2022 award this tour is a must-see stop on your trip. See the precious stones up close and personal and try your hand at the gold finding technique with the trays and water, and you know what they say, finders keepers. The whole family can enjoy this hour tour underground in the mines like they used to experience in the olden times.
- Wolf Mountain Vineyards and Winery – Another Trip advisor travelers 2022 award winner, this winery tour is exquisite not only for the great beverages, but the scenery alone makes it worth the trip. Nestled high on the mountain overlooking the tree tops, this is also a great wedding location, perfect for entertaining guests, and enjoying the award-winning locally produced wines.
Top sightseeing: Rated by uniqueness
- Chestatee River Diving Bell – While this may be a quicker sight to enjoy as you come and go at your leisure, this free activity is informative, and interesting, and allows you a great read while the children touch and discover a piece of history right at their fingertips.
- Red Oak Lavender Farm – The largest lavender farm in all of Georgia is not to be missed, with over 3000 plants and 15 varieties the aroma alone will draw you in as you get closer. Once you have enjoyed a walk through the fields and gardens, end the trip with a browse in the shop and take home a little piece of lavender for yourself.
Top Accommodation: Rated by traveler favorites and top picks
- The Quality Inn Hotel (2 stars, 7.8 good ratings, 8.2 for location) – This great property is essentially home to all gold-related activities from museums to mines and makes it the perfect stop to learn more about the golden era that makes up so much a rich part of the history here. There are plenty of close, off-site outdoor activities to enjoy, and restaurants and shops are a small walk away.
- Barefoot Hills (1 star, 9.2 superb ratings, 9.4 for location) – Travelers love this location because it is not only nestled between the trees for a peaceful setting but allow pets to holiday with you so your furry family member can join in the festivities. There is plenty of trails and walks for them to run free and parking on-site to securely park your car while you are out exploring.
- Forest Hills Mountain Resort (3 stars, 8.4 very good ratings, 8.8 for location) – A unique experience when you stay here, carriage rides through the trails are only a 2-minute walk from the property and are a must-try excursion to be part of. Head out for the day to nearby activities, but not before enjoying a daily breakfast to fill your tummy and keep you fueled for your adventures and outdoor tours or excursions.
Helen in Georgia has long been a tourist destination and is increasing in popularity due to the annual Oktoberfest being held successfully and the quaint yet gorgeously designed architecture of the Bavarian-styled and inspired buildings.
Find ornaments and handmade bespoke souvenirs to gift to loved ones, treat yourself, or simply as a token to remember the great vacation stay by. You may not make it all the way to Germany, but this is as close to the real thing and as amazing.
So be sure to book your vacation holiday to Helen Georgia to experience outdoor adventures like no other and be immersed in a community filled with culture and history.