Surrounded by Cuba, Haiti, and Puerto Rico lies the British Overseas Territory known as Turks and Caicos. These two tropical islands are the epitome of magazine-worthy vacation spots, with white sands with clear blue turquoise water, and a tourism hub deemed fit for a bucket list. If ever there was a place to visit and stay, this would be it. And, here, we are going to share answers about where to stay in Turks and Caicos.
These islands in all their glory host the world’s third-largest coral reef system, perfect for diving experiences that people only dream about, and accessed by the many beautiful beaches that stretch around the islands.
Grand Bay Beach, one of the many popular beaches of the islands has won the renowned best Beach Destination Award multiple times, making it a prime tourist destination spot. And if you are looking for something a little more on the quieter side, Leeward Beach has no large resorts nearby meaning you have the peace and seclusion of the open beach all to yourself.
All you need to do now is to find the best places to stay in Turks and Caicos and make those vacation dreams become a reality. Too often we put these life-changing moments on hold, or to the side, but picturesque holiday spots like these are a must-see and to experience the Turks and Caicos nightlife is one you won’t forget.
Best Area to Stay in Turks and Caicos
The big question on everyone’s lips, and finding the best Turks and Caicos resorts can make all the difference to your trip. There is something for everyone on the islands, accommodation to suit all budgets, and certainly, variations when it comes to hotels, hostels, or lodging, thus being said, let’s take a look at the best areas and top places to stay in Turks and Caicos to make those dreams come true.
What you do need to know, especially if you are a first time visitor, is that there are 3 primary locations to stay when visiting the islands that make the trip worthwhile and unforgettable, outside of these there are smaller islands to visit for day excursions but none that have hotels and lodging.
We will have a look at Grace Bay (for first-time visitors) and The Bite Settlement (for local experiences) which are located on the Providenciales in the Caicos Islands (the larger of the two), and Grand Turk Island (for culture) also known as Cockburn Town.
*Fun Fact: The town was named after a Mr. Sir Francis Cockburn who, in the early 1800s, was the governor of the Bahamas and which is why it is now the government seat and capital of Turks and Caicos.
With so many choices and options on the table, it can be daunting to decide on where to stay, which location is best for specific activities to partake in, and which is more suitable than the other? Why?
With our help and this great list, you will discover not only the best area in Turks and Caicos but the best places to stay in Grace Bay as well as Turks and Caicos accommodations to suit your every need. Let’s get started.
Where to Stay in Providenciales?
This region is the third largest of the Turk and Caicos islands and is decorated with prickly pear cactus and scrub, the ridges and rugged hillside lay side-by-side with one of the common humpback whale migration routes (a top tourist attraction).
Providenciales has been recognized for its luxury, grandeur, and unbeatable natural beauty, given the nickname Provo, it is home to some of the top hotels in the world.
Grace Bay – For First-Time Visitors
With picturesque glistening sands and transparent blue-hued waters, this area screams opulence. The perfect way to experience the Caribbean with only the best hotels and spas, restaurants with authentic, local cuisine, and water activities to immerse you in the magic that is the Grace Bay.
The multiple award-winning Grace Bay Beach is everything you read about in reports.
Endless stretches of impossibly soft sand which is a combination of powdered coral and fine sand granules and not a stone in sight makes evening walks a pleasure under the star-filled sky.
Top activities: Water sports, boat cruises, land sports and activities, spa and fitness, and the perfect location for those honeymoon or engagement photos, or even family portraits.
Attractions: Home to both natural and historic attractions, you will want to be sure to visit the Chalk Sound National Park and the Cheshire Hall Plantation, as well as the Sapodilla Bay Hill Rock Carvings and The National Museum and Heritage Site.
Accommodation: Rated from 5 -3 stars with the highest customer reviews, finding the best place to stay in Turks and Caicos couldn’t be easier.
- Wymara Resort & Villas. The full package. The ultimate escape. Here you will get to enjoy the great tastes and flavors of professionally cooked meals by a world-renowned chef, be pampered in the organic-certified spa with biodynamic beauty products, or embrace total seclusion. The villas are just minutes away from the resort and offer top-class amenities in the privacy of your own space.
- West Bay Club. A luxury oceanfront resort. If you and your loved one are looking for some quality time then the services and excursions available at this boutique hotel will not disappoint. Yoga sessions on the beach before the world wakes up, kayak trips to become one with nature and nothing around you but beautiful blue ocean, and one-of-a-kind island drop-offs for the ultimate seclusion. Just you, the ocean, and stretches of sand lined with palm trees and blue sky.
- Island Club Turks & Grace Bay Place. Your home away from home. The perfect getaway for the family to get out of the city. Condos are situated near the award-winning Grace Bay beach, a swimming pool on-site for those days when you don’t feel like leaving the property (and why should you, you’re on vacation), and BBQ facilities for relaxed outdoor dining comfort. Grace Bay place is more secluded and quiet if tranquility and serenity are what you are looking for.
- Windsong on the Reef. This is the place to be if you want to wake up to the sound of the ocean on your doorstep. Nothing beats the expanse of blue when you look out of your window first thing in the morning. This award-winning boutique hotel is situated on the coral reef shoreline offering you the best of Caribbean water sports and activities that are not only complementary, but you have the luxury to enjoy oceanfront dining for all your meals.
- The Oasis at Grace Bay. The King rooms have everything you could want from the Nespresso coffee machines to the fridge and microwave and the flat screen, and if that wasn’t enough, you have a private patio that overlooks the gardens and pool. Here you get to enjoy the best of both the sea and the pool. When you have had your fun in the sun at the beach (which is on your doorstep) you can take a dip to cool off at the pool before heading back to your suite.
- Sibonne Beach Hotel. Relaxing on a sun lounger on the world’s best beach (Voted Best Beach Destination in the Travelers Choice Awards; March 2022) life does not get better than this. White stretches of sand pure in color, water that you can see to the bottom of for the ultimate snorkeling and diving experiences, if you are looking for the best place to stay in Turks & Caicos then this is it.
The Bight Settlement – For Local Experiences
This area is more inland than the others with a more residential community feel, perfect for getting away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist influx and immersed into the local customs.
What was once a farming and fishing village due to an abundance of available resources at the time, has now become an established conch and barrier reef fish haven. Conch shells are a great find, and beautiful souvenirs to take home with you to remember your trip.
And if you are there during the week then Thursday Fish Fry is a must-try occasion. Stalls and booths lined in rows selling fresh fish bites and snacks to taste and sample, as well as fun, fruity flavored cocktails to bring it all together.
Live music keeps the atmosphere buzzing and it is a great way to mingle and interact with the locals, hear their history and stories behind their activities, and leave feeling filled with the richness of their culture and knowledge.
Top Activities: A great hands-on experience, here you can participate in cycling and horseback riding, hiking, tennis, or birdwatching, or grab a helmet for ATV tours up and down the sand dunes and grasslands.
Attractions: The nighttime comes alive when the sun sets with BBQ bonfires on the beach, sunset cruises, and live music. But for a truly unique experience, don’t miss out on the glow-worm cruise at night to see the ocean floor light up with activity.
Accommodation: Rated from 5 -3 stars with the highest customer reviews, with a choice of the nicest resorts in Turks and Caicos.
- Villa Renaissance Grace Bay. Arriving there you will never want to leave, you have everything you could want from a perfect hotel experience right at your fingertips. The beach is a morning walk away with food and cocktail delivery, the staff is on hand to help plan excursions and take requests, and all guests have free use of bicycles, DVDs, and printing facilities throughout their stay should they need it.
- Villa Renaissance Unit 501 Grace Bay Beach. Your home away from home with all the amenities to feel comfortable, relaxed, and taken care of when you need it the most. A great option for couples looking for an onsite, but private vacation stay, the beach on your doorstep, and a top selection of restaurants and cafes in the surrounding area if you choose to eat out.
- Carpe Diem. A condominium complex in Grace Bay. This is a great choice when you plan to travel with the kids. The condos are close enough to the beach for a day trip, but the complex features gardens and a private pool for lazing around in the sun all day. Parking is available onsite if need be, and all condos are fully equipped with accessories and free toiletries.
Grand Turk Island – Finding the perfect Grand Turk lodging
Home to the 60-foot Grand Turk lighthouse on the Northeaster tip of the island, this monument still stands having been built in 1852.
This is the largest of the islands and is also home to the capital of the island, Cockburn Town.
One appeal factor, in particular, is the abundance of coral reef diving locations in the area, thus making it one of the world’s most renowned scuba-diving destinations, and only a few minutes from the shore.
Gibbs Cay another fun excursion, is a secluded island of crystal waters and peacefulness, for when you just need to get away. If you enjoy the adventures and non-stop exploring and activities, be sure to try the beach trail on horseback, gold carting adventures, and The Grand Turk Sightseeing tour where you get a little bit of everything.
Top Activities: When visiting this part of the island, snorkeling is a must, island tours and boat cruises are always a treat, but be sure to book the whale watching experience for the cherry on top. There are a whole host of water and land activities such as kayaking and Jet Ski rentals, to Segway excursions and tours. But if you are feeling really brave and adventurous, the kiteboarding and dune buggy tours may just be your calling.
Attractions: The National Museum and Her Majesty’s Prison have proven increasingly popular, but the Salt House and the Grand Turk Salt Salinas are a sight not to be missed. The Salt House has a café restaurant for a quick refresher, but also a great gift shop for those take-home memorabilia.
Accommodation: Rated from 5 -3 stars with the highest customer reviews, where Turks and Caicos accommodation come full circle.
- Turks Head Inne. An impressive boutique hotel that elevates your trip to more than you could imagine. Whale watching, king-sized rooms with sea and garden views, and all with the option to have the venue exclusively for your celebration making it that much more special. Team-building and corporate events can now have the exclusivity you want, but with the luxury of a vacation.
- Corktree Beach House Modern Beachfront 2bd 3ba. The ultimate place to stay when you want to relax. Fishing, canoeing, and diving are all available with the property as well as a car service so getting around is one less thing to worry about. This villa is fully equipped with amenities and with a sea view right on your doorstep what more could you want.
- Osprey Beach Hotel. Beachfront rooms overlooking the ocean are a dream to wake up to, the fresh, crisp air wafting over the island as nature wakes up for another glorious day in the Caribbean. Enjoy snorkeling and horseback riding on your doorstep, and after a long day, head down to the spa for a massage treatment fit for royalty. A dream of a hotel in a tranquil, oasis of a location.
- La Grande Pettite Villa. Your holiday, your way. This is the perfect little getaway for a couple who wants to enjoy the peace of the island but still enjoy the beach, which is only a few meters away and exclusive to the property. Come and go as your heart pleases, and head to the center in under 30-minutes if a night out is on the cards.
- Seasongs. Just 50m from the beach, this garden, and terraced accommodation sets the tone for a great trip. Free WIFI for the kids, bicycles to hop onto and cycle around the area for discoveries and exploring you won’t get back home, and only 1.8km from the center for the days when you want to head into town.
The Salt Cay
A long history of sea salt production on the island gave it this unique name and discovering and learning more about this trade is what brings the limited tourism to the island. This practice which was once a booming trade industry provider, as salt was used in the preservation of food, was given the name of white gold.
And while this has since died down and the technique depreciated, it is still very much a part of the rich culture and heritage that is the essence of Salt Cay Island, a gem of a place to stay in the Turks and Caicos area.
Along with tourism, scuba diving is the main income for the island.
If surrounded by nothing but the ocean and the local donkeys that roam freely, this island could be the best getaway for you and your loved one. Escaping for a day or two from the hustle and bustle of the more populated Turk and Caicos Islands and areas is the perfect way to rejuvenate the soul.
And you don’t have to worry about the area being too populated as there are roughly only 100 hundred inhabitants. Sounds like a dream come true for a moment’s peace.
Top Activities. There are plenty of things to get involved in, scuba diving, whale watching, and kayaking are only some of the water sports to indulge in. and if fishing is a fun hobby you enjoy, the island offers full or half-day excursions on deep-sea fishing boats in conjunction with local restaurants, where you can catch your dinner for that evening.
Attractions: Being quite a small island the history and landmarks make up the majority of the attractions to visit. Scenery and landscapes offer great panoramic views of the area and salt clay. And no trip would be complete without having a look at the Salinas, the shallow seawater ponds where they would allow the water to evaporate to reveal the salt.
Accommodation: One of the best areas to stay in is Turks and Caicos if you want something different and tranquil. There are smaller privately rented out options on the island but it’s best to enquire at the time of booking and dependent on your party size.
- Mount Pleasant 3 Bedroom Cottage. A secluded home with a garden and terrace and set within Salt Cay. Your party will have the whole house to yourselves with parking and WIFI available on site. What is nice is that you don’t have to leave the comfort of your space as the property offers groceries delivered at a small fee, and any water activities are easily accessible with the beach only a walk away.
And if you didn’t already realize, there is only one airport that services the island, Leon Wilson Airport.
When staying at Mount Pleasant Cottage during your Turk and Caicos vacation you have airport transport to and from the airport, and a free airport shuttle if need be.
The best area to stay in Turks and Caicos may be a tricky decision because everywhere is covered in natural beauty, and is as picturesque as you imagine or would have seen in brochures, if not better, but there is a perfect location for you and your family.
Islands have a certain magic to them and you get to see a whole new world, a new side to the island life when the sun goes down and the colorful lights, warm breeze, and local music begin. Some of the best hotels in Turks and Caicos will leave lasting impressions and for some people may be the most memorable moments they will have experienced in life.
For the adventure of a lifetime be sure to make this destination stop one not to be missed, breathtaking resorts filled with activities and excursions to immerse yourself in the top places to go in Turks and Caicos, and to seize life.
For what is life if we are not living it?